Learn English with Ellen: Past Simple II
The Man Who Sold the World - David Bowie
Past Simple II worksheet
Verbs are divided into two groups, regular verbs and irregular verbs, on the basis of how their past tense and past participles are formed.
Most verbs are regular verbs. We add -ed to the end of the verb: laugh - laughed, love - loved, etc.
There is no one formula to predict how an irregular verb will form its past tense and past participle forms! I.e. speak - spoke (past) - spoken (past participle), cut - cut (past) - cut (past participle).
1. What’s the structure of the Past Simple?
The past simple is formed with:
+ _____________ _____________
- _____________ _____________ + _____________
? _____________ _____________ _____________ ?
2. Listen and fill in the gaps with the correct word
wasn’t passed said spoke thought
1. We _____________ upon the stair.
2. Although I _______________ there.
3. He ______________ I was his friend.
4. I ____________ into his eyes.
5. I ________________ you died alone.
3. Put the verbs into the Past Simple form.
1. Laugh _____________
2. Shake _____________
3. Make _____________
4. Search ____________
5. Roam _____________
6. Gaze ______________
4. Complete the sentences with the past simple form of the verbs in brackets. Use contractions where possible.
We really _____________ (enjoy) the concert last Sunday.
_____________ (Tom / finish) the project yesterday?
Anna _____________ (not / win) the competition last month.
James _____________ (stop) his car in front of the sports shops.
We _____________ (not/go) hiking in May.
It _____________ (be) a fantastic day.
We _____________ (go) to the pub last night.